Search for Existing Opportunities
If you’re ready to find a practice for sale, associateship, or other opportunity, use the checklist below to help you prepare for your search. Be sure to click on each action item for a list of supporting tasks and resources.
Write your curriculum vitae (CV)/résumé and consider including the following:
- Education (residents should include anticipated graduation date)
- Professional and research experience
- Leadership and professional service
- Publications and presentations
- Scholastic honors and awards
- Professional affiliations
- Special skills
Create a seeker profile on the AAO’s Practice Opportunities and Careers service and explore available opportunities
- Other sources include: constituent and component societies, practice management consultants and brokers, career networking events, orthodontic residency programs, and publications such as the AJO-DO
Evaluate opportunities based on available information and determine which opportunities to pursue further
- Search for practice/organization websites, articles, reviews, journals, publications, etc.
- Research the location, surrounding area, and population
- Identify qualities the employer or seller is seeking in a candidate
- Determine if the opportunity aligns with your personal philosophy, goals, preferences, and desired arrangements
Tailor your CV/résumé for each opportunity you are pursuing
- In what ways is your experience relevant to the opportunity description?
- What qualities do you have that match what is listed in the opportunity description?
- How can you modify sections and/or descriptions in your CV/résumé to match what the employer or seller is seeking?
Write an “about me” cover letter to share additional information beyond what is included on your CV/résumé
- Describe why you are interested in learning more about the opportunity
- Briefly describe your background, strengths, values, and goals and how they might be an advantage to the practice/organization
- Relate your experience, skills, and competencies to the opportunity description
- Ask the employer or seller for the chance to discuss the opportunity further
- Thank the employer or seller for their time and consideration